Sunday 4 November 2012

Lamlash lights up the sky


Last year was the first time I experienced bonfire night in Lamlash and I have to say I was delighted to find an event way beyond my expectations.  This year the day started well, dry but cold and I set about tidying my outbuilding. 

This took a little longer than anticipated - how do these places get in such a mess, but I managed to extract a reasonably sized pile of wood to contribute to the bonfire.  This was delivered, and with lots of helpers on the beach, very quickly transported down to the already large bonfire pyre.  

The late afternoon saw a little drizzle but fortunately that cleared and clear bright skies brought temperatures falling, everything was set for a great evening. The crowds gathered and the bonfire was lit at 7pm followed by a fantastic display of fireworks. 

What I love about it all – apart from it’s free - is the fact our local fire fighters are the ones who manage the bonfire and light all the fireworks – everything is as safe as it can be.  I have no idea what would happen if they got a ‘shout’ during the event, but a least they’re already kitted up and ready to go. 




Soup and hotdogs were available on the green and for those wanting something stronger the Lamlash bay hotel bar seemed to be doing a roaring trade.  



No comments:

Post a Comment